GoodReads Announces Their 2016 Reading Challenge’s Most-Read Books

GoodReads announced the most-read books from their users’ 2016 reading challenges yesterday. Check out their full article here to see all the books that made the list!

And while you’re looking at that list, please notice how many of these titles are YA! Like 18 out of the 24, folks. Can we all please recognize that YA is an important form of literature yet?! Rant over…for now. 😉

Of these books, here are the ones that were part of my 2016 GoodReads Challenge:

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard

The Crown by Kiera Cass

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare

Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Divergent by Veronica Roth

And here are all the ones that I MEANT to read in 2016 before my TBR pile just absolutely ran amok!

The Girls by Emma Cline

The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney

Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty

The Girl on the Train by Paul Hawkins

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Did you read any, or all, of the GoodReads Most-Read Books of 2016? Which ones did you love? Which ones did you miss?

1. I meant to read The Girls and The Girl on the Train, too, before my TBR list grew infinitely long! I hope you get to pick up To Kill a Mockingbird soon, though – it’s such a wonderful novel. x

Me too! Hopefully I can get to all three in 2017!

2. I can proudly say that I’ve read most of the books on this list, haha! 🙂

Awesome! I tip my cap to you. ☺️

3. mhmcneill says:

Man, there’s some snotty comments on the original post about YA. Granted, I’m not an avid YA fan, but geez, people.

Anyway! I read “The Girls” and “The Girl on the Train” this year. Loved “The Girls,” but I was less than blown away by “The Girl on the Train.”

Seriously! I really wish readers would stop judging other readers for their book choices, but that’s an uphill battle! So glad to hear you liked The Girls!

1. mhmcneill says:

Until recently, I really didn’t want to give YA a chance. But I’m going to try and explore the genre this coming year, so I’m making progress!

Oh, yay! Let me know what you decide to try out.

5. Love how so many of the titles that made the list are YA! Totally deserved as well – YA is KILLING it at the moment. 🙂 Long may it continue!

Can I get an Amen?!

6. piratepatty says:

I’ve read all but one of these. And here I thought I didn’t like YA! Turns out I do like good writing! No matter the genre!

I am totally going to quote you on that! Good writing truly is all that matters!

1. piratepatty says:

It really is all that matters. That every age group has really good books to read that they can relate to.

And I also think it’s important to read books from POVs of all different ages, just like it’s important to read diverse books. Ageism is a definite problem in the literary world.

8. I’m shocked Divergent still ranks so highly on this list, considering the amount of years passed since its publication. Very interesting post!

I’m guessing it’s having an upswing in popularity again because of Roth’s new novel coming out next month.

9. The only book I read on this list is Cursed Child. All the YA series, other than HP, I haven’t started, so I gave up on (I’m looking at you, The Selection). The Girls and Me Before You were both on my TBR, but I’m still waiting for the books to come in from the library. I guess I don’t really read many hyped or newly published books!

That’s cool though that you’re reading a wider range of books. I do usually love me those super commercial books, but it’s really fun when you can find some hidden gems.

11. TeacherofYA says:

I can’t believe HP still makes the list after all these years! Wow!

Right?! Honestly, it just makes me happy. HP for life!