Standalone Sunday : The Perks of Being a Wallflower

standalone-1

Happy, happy Sunday, my bookish friends! Here is another mind-blowingly amazing contemporary YA novel. I am dying for Chbosky to write another novel, like I’m sure many of you are. Has anyone heard any word of him working on any other projects? He’s definitely one of the YA contemporary greats like Benjamin Alire Sáenz, Adam Silvera, and Jandy Nelson.

Standalone Sunday is a weekly meme created by Megan@bookslayerReads. This meme is about a Standalone book (that is not part of a series) that you loved and would recommend. Be sure to check out her awesome bookish blog!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

22628Charlie is a freshman.

And while he’s not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can’t stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.

Wine Pairing

Yes, there is an actual Wallflower wine! So why not try pairing this Wallflower White Frontignac Semillon with The Perks of Being a Wallflower?! It’s got a really interesting flavor, which goes well with the characters in this book. A little bit sweet, a little bit salty, and lot a bit complex.

I’m sure I could do Standalone Sundays on lovely contemporary YA novels for the rest of forever, but I would be so thrilled if anyone could recommend me a good YA fantasy standalone. I can’t recall reading one myself, but I would LOVE to. All my favorite YA fantasies are series or duologies.

1. Didi Oviatt says:

I haven’t dove into a great YA in some time, so I think I’m due!! This one is officially added to my TBR!! looks great

Oh, yay! There is nothing more exciting for a book blogger than having someone say they want to read a book because you posted about it, right?! 🙂

1. Didi Oviatt says:

Absolutely yes!! I completely agree! 🙂

2. Ooh, nice wine pairing! 😊 I’ve yet to read this book, but it’s been on my TBR for years! Lol. I’ll have to try to get to it sooner rather than later. Thanks for the rec!

Thank you! And thanks for hosting this meme. I’ve made some amazing blogger friends through this one!

1. You’re welcome! And that’s awesome! Thanks so much for participating!!

3. ezinwanyi13 says:

Great pick for wine. I didn’t read the book but the movie was meh to me. Enjoy!

You probably wouldn’t like the book then, cause the movie did a really good job of following it IMO. 🙂

4. Sad to say, I’ve owned this book since it came out and still haven’t read it. But after your review I’m going to ASAP!! Thank you!!

It’s all good. I didn’t read it until after the movie came out, so it took me a while too. 🙂

5. Love this one!! Did you like the movie adaptation?

I did like it. I thought the casting was spot on. Did you like it?

1. I did, the cast really was great!

6. Donna says:

I swear I told a thousand times to people that I was gonna read this one hahaha!

Hahaha. Well, it’s never too late!