The King’s English Bookshop Made the PW Shortlist for Bookstore of the Year!

img_0440
The King’s English Bookshop

You guys, this is such AWESOME news!!! I was literally jumping up and down when I heard about this, and I don’t even work at this bookshop. If you’ve read my blog though, you know how much I ADORE The King’s English and what a HUGE impact this little bookshop has made on my life in the past couple of years.

So, what is this list all about? Well, this is a short (five stores across the whole country short!) list of “some of the most creative and energetic bookstores in the business.”

Publisher’s Weekly has been sponsoring this award for more than two decades, and I cannot emphasize enough what a HUGE deal this is in the book world! Check out the full article about this award on Publisher’s Weekly’s site here!

2017 PW Bookstore of the Year Shortlist

• Avid Bookshop (Athens, Ga.)
  • King’s English Bookshop, The (Salt Lake City, Utah)
  • Parnassus Books (Nashville, Tenn.)
  • Prairie Lights (Iowa City, Iowa)
  • Wild Rumpus Books (Minneapolis, Minn.)
img_0630
The King’s English Bookshop

Why Does TKE Deserve the Win?

We have an incredible, INCREDIBLE book community here in Utah, and The King’s English is the heart of it all! I live about an hour away from this store, and I stumbled across it when I found out that Sarah J. Maas was doing a signing there in 2015. And boy, am I glad that I did. When I say TKE changed my life, I’m not exaggerating.

After that book event, my friends and  I quickly figured out how many AMAZING authors this bookshop was bringing to town. Check out their full calendar of events here. It will blow your mind! We’ve gotten to meet so many amazing authors there over the past couple of years from Susan Dennard and Alexandra Bracken, Veronica Roth, Kathryn Purdie, Victoria Schwab, to Stephen FREAKING King! And that’s just a small handful of the amazing events we’ve been able to attend.

Not only does this book store host these incredible author events, they also allow members of the community to host their own book club meetings at their store. This is where we host our YA and Wine Book Club meeting every month. They give our book club members discounts on books, they promote our club on their website and in their newsletter, and because of that, they have introduced me to some of my favorite friends!

I’ve also gotten the opportunity to chat with some of our awesome local authors and book bloggers at TKE events and have gotten to become friends with them as well. These wonderful writers have been so welcoming to me, helping to promote my blog and encouraging me in my own writing. None of which would have happened if it weren’t for TKE.

I also have to say that their booksellers are incredible! I count many of them as friends. They have excellent book recommendations for our group whenever we ask. They’re incredibly knowledgeable about all genres of books. They’re also so friendly and welcoming, they make you feel like you’re a part of their family when you walk in the door.

Without The King’s English, I would not have the YA and Wine Book Club (which is kind of my pride and joy), I would not have this book blog, I would not have an amazing book community to be a part of, and I would have missed out on not only becoming friends with other local book lovers but with all of my new blogger friends as well!

TKE holds a special place in my heart and I am crossing everything I’ve got that they win this prestigious award. The King’s English and all of their booksellers truly, truly deserve this.

img_0469

1. Cloud Walker says:

Book shops are a wonderful way to discover old books and feel lost in fantasy.

It’s so true! And this one is truly special!❤️❤️❤️

2. It’s wonderful that bookstores like this still exist to fight another day against Amazon and Barnes and Noble.😊

Agreed! Fight and entirely destroy in this case. TKE is best bookstore in Utah by far. We’re so lucky to have them!

3. I love bookstores! They’re so amazing! I actually want to go to Parnassus Books, the Nashville-based indie bookstore on the list! Even though I won’t buy books, I could spend hours just looking at the pretty covers and going “Hey! I’ve heard that!” or “I want to read that!”

I’ve heard Parnassus is pretty amazing, but I can’t even imagine a bookstore being more awesome than TKE. 😉 And, YES! My TBR pile doubles everytime I go in there!

1. I have to go see for myself! 😉 And I’d probably need someone to hold my wallet when I enter them so I don’t go spend all my money!

4. Tiana says:

This is awesome! I’m so happy to see such good things for the shop you care so much about! It is definitely well-deserved. 🤗📚🎉

Thanks, Tiana! I know! I’m so, so excited for them! 📚🎉🎈🙌🏻

5. Yay!! I unfortunately don’t have an independent bookstore in my town (that I know of…) but this one looks so charming that now I really want one! Being on the shortlist is a huge accomplishment in itself, but here’s hoping it wins! 🎉

There aren’t nearly as many as their used to be because of the big stores like Amazon and Barnes and Noble, so we’re super lucky to have this one! They’re amazing! Thanks for rooting for them! ☺️☺️☺️

6. Congrats to The Kings English Bookshop! As you know, I have often commented about how amazed I am at what TKE offers you and your community. But, now that it’s hit the PW shortlist for Bookstore of the Year, I know what you guys have is special. I am so glad there is a welcoming community for your book clubs, bookish events, and more. I hope that they win!!!

I’m THRILLED for them to be on this list. It is so well-deserved. I’m definitely keeping my fingers crossed for them!