2017 Debut Authors to Watch : Natalie C. Anderson

City of Saints & Thieves by Natalie C. Anderson is SUCH an amazing debut, the movie rights have already been acquired by Universal! And there are some big names expected to be part of the project, including Kerry Washington.

If City of Saints & Thieves is any indication, I think it is very apparent that we can expect some great things from Natalie in the future, and I can’t wait to see what she has in store for us next!

Check out the details about the book below and details about the movie here!

About Natalie C. Anderson

2339086Natalie C Anderson is an American writer and international development professional based in Geneva, Switzerland with her husband. You can also sometimes find her in the mountains of North Carolina or Nairobi, Kenya. She’s spent the last decade working NGOs and the UN on refugee issues around the world, mainly Africa.

Natalie has a BA from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in International Studies, African Studies and Political Science, and received her MSc from the University of Oxford in Forced Migration.

Natalie was selected as the 2014-2015 Associates of the Boston Public Library Children’s Writer-in-Residence. She is represented by Faye Bender, of The Book Group.
Her debut YA novel, CITY OF SAINTS AND THIEVES will be published in January, 2017 by G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Penguin Random House.

City of Saints & Thieves by Natalie C. Anderson

33956433The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo meets Gone Girl in this enthralling YA murder mystery set in Kenya.

In the shadows of Sangui City, there lives a girl who doesn’t exist. After fleeing the Congo as refugees, Tina and her mother arrived in Kenya looking for the chance to build a new life and home. Her mother quickly found work as a maid for a prominent family, headed by Roland Greyhill, one of the city’s most respected business leaders. But Tina soon learns that the Greyhill fortune was made from a life of corruption and crime. So when her mother is found shot to death in Mr. Greyhill’s personal study, she knows exactly who’s behind it.

With revenge always on her mind, Tina spends the next four years surviving on the streets alone, working as a master thief for the Goondas, Sangui City’s local gang. It’s a job for the Goondas that finally brings Tina back to the Greyhill estate, giving her the chance for vengeance she’s been waiting for. But as soon as she steps inside the lavish home, she’s overtaken by the pain of old wounds and the pull of past friendships, setting into motion a dangerous cascade of events that could, at any moment, cost Tina her life. But finally uncovering the incredible truth about who killed her mother—and why—keeps her holding on in this fast-paced nail-biting thriller.

It’s All In The Details

• Title: City of Saints & Thieves
  • Author: Natalie C. Anderson
  • Publisher: Putnam Young Readers
  • Pub Date: January 24, 2017
  • Pages: 432

Penguin Teen Tour

Want to get the chance to get a copy of City of Saints & Thieves signed live and in person? You can meet Natalie C. Anderson during the Penguin Teen Tour. Check out the dates here!

Have any of you read City of Saints & Thieves yet? Will you get to meet Natalie during the Penguin Teen Tour? What are some of your favorite YA murder mysteries?

1. LairOfBooks says:

I’m super excited for this one! I got my copy ready & waiting for me, its not often that we get a YA book set in Kenya. Glad to see more authors in YA stepping up to deliver on the diversity front. Kerry Washington?!?!?! YASSSSS QUEEN! 😉

I agree! So happy to see more of the world and more diversity in YA. I feel like the publishing industry is doing a great job at making that a priority. It’s needed to happen for such a long time. I cannot wait to see what they do with this movie. It sounds like it’s going to be phenomenal.

1. LairOfBooks says:

I agree & it’s about time! Now I’m just doing my best to keep track of them all 🤗🤗🤗 it does sound like it will be quite phenomenal, looking forward to this one 😃💕

Same here. My TBR pile is overflowing, but that’s a great thing in this case!

2. readwithg says:

The cover of this book is breathtaking. I’ll have to add it to my TBR List. Awesome review, thank you!

It is STUNNING. I hope you get to read it soon. Thank you! 🙂

3. bookevin says:

Krysti, oh Krysti! If I could drink wine and not pass out, we could totally be sharing notes right now. As much as I like a chilled glass of Merlot, I can’t help but fall asleep afterwards.

I have heard great things about City of Saints and Thieves and with the book being set in Kenya, it has definitely caught my attention!

Hahaha! Hey, Evin! Maybe we can pick a latte or something to drink while we read then. 🙂

1. bookevin says:

Hey, I’m actually “Kevin” but don’t worry. You’re not the only one who gets confused with my stylised name! A latte sounds great, actually. I’ve never had a pumpkin spiced latte before!

Ah! I always thought it was Book Evin. Thank you for correcting me. We’re definitely doing a PSL and book pairing in October then!

3. bookevin says:

No worries about it, Krysti!

4. ezinwanyi13 says:

I liked the audio of the Rose and the Dagger last year. I want to listen to the Rebel and Sands soon

I’m doing the audio of Rebel of the Sands this week! I have a bunch of books to get through before book events next week!

5. I had a chance to read this and passed. Now I am kicking myself!

It’s never too late. 🙂

1. I just put it on hold at my library 😊

Awesome. Hope you like it!

6. Wow, a debut wish such an impressive resume already! I’m in 😀
    Great post, Krysti! 🙂

Right?! There are so many amazing debuts this year, but this one is definitely up there on my list. Thank you!!!