Standalone Sunday: Given to the Sea

standalone-1

Hello, everyone! I haven’t done a Standalone Sunday in weeks, so I’m so excited to be able to participate today, especially since this book is one that I am DYING to get my hands on when it comes out next month!

Standalone Sunday is a weekly meme created by Megan@bookslayerReads. This meme is about a Standalone book (that is not part of a series) that you loved and would recommend. Be sure to check out her awesome bookish blog!

Given to the Sea by Mindy McGinnis

25314447Khosa is Given to the Sea, a girl born to be fed to the water, her flesh preventing a wave like the one that destroyed the Kingdom of Stille in days of old. But before she’s allowed to dance – an uncontrollable twitching of the limbs that will carry her to the shore in a frenzy – she must produce an heir. Yet the thought of human touch sends shudders down her spine that not even the sound of the tide can match.

Vincent is third in line to inherit his throne, royalty in a kingdom where the old linger and the young inherit only boredom. When Khosa arrives without an heir he knows his father will ensure she fulfills her duty, at whatever cost. Torn between protecting the throne he will someday fill, and the girl whose fate is tied to its very existence, Vincent’s loyalty is at odds with his heart.

Dara and Donil are the last of the Indiri, a native race whose dwindling magic grows weaker as the island country fades. Animals cease to bear young, creatures of the sea take to the land, and the Pietra – fierce fighters who destroyed the Indiri a generation before – are now marching from their stony shores for the twin’s adopted homeland, Stille.

Witt leads the Pietra, their army the only family he has ever known. The stone shores harbor a secret, a growing threat that will envelop the entire land – and he will conquer every speck of soil to ensure the survival of his people.

The tides are turning in Stille, where royals scheme, Pietrans march, and the rising sea calls for its Given.

Wine Pairing

I recommend sipping on this GORGEOUS SeaGlass Riesling while reading Mindy McGinnis’s latest book Given to the Sea. Not only are we sticking with the “sea” theme, but just look how beautiful this bottle looks with the book cover!

I’m so excited for this book to come out! And if you’re looking for a list of more fabulous standalone YA fantasy novels, then check out this article over on Epic Reads!

1. I was able to meet Mindy at the SE-YA Book Fest and got to get her sign my copy of The Female of the Species! She’s a great writer! 🙂

That’s awesome! She really is a great writer!

1. She is! And she’s so fun to talk to in person!

2. Wait, this comes out next month??? Why did I not have that in my head. I’m sooooo excited for it – and not just because of that epic cover. And Seaglass is literally the perfect wine to go with it! Perfect pick as always! 🙂

Yep! April 11th to be exact. 🙂 I can’t wait for this one. It sounds so great. And I LOVE standalone fantasy novels. And THANK YOU!!!!

1. Oh wow. :O That is ridiculously close. I’m off my book game. D: But YES. There is not enough standalone fantasy, so I’m even more excited now. 😀

So apparently, they’ve announced this is now going to have a sequel, which is funny because it was on the publisher’s list of great standalone fantasy novels last week. Oh well! Still excited to read it!

3. LOL that’s so weird that it would come back with mroe…but also good because it must mean that’s it good? 😄 Interesting, but still excited as you said.

It is so funny. I wonder if they article they wrote was incorrect, or if they just recently decided to do another book. I haven’t had a chance to look into it yet.

5. Yeah, because I actually feel like I did hear it was supposed to be one book…or maybe because it didn’t have the parentheses with it on goodreads. So weird. I think it just wants to mess with us now. Xd

I think you’re right. It’s a total conspiracy!

3. This book seems super interessting and really beautiful with the wine too. Amazing post! I would love to get my hands on this book. 😀

Thank you! Me too. I LOVE standalone fantasy novels. I’m so excited to read it!

4. Beware Of The Reader says:

I saw this book on the list you’re mentioning (Epic reads) and I must say it picked my interest too. Great choice! 🙂

It’s a great list! I definitely want to read all the books on it that I haven’t already. 📚🍷

5. Yes, Krysti!! I can’t wait to read this one, either! Plus, I love that cover! Great pick for this week. I’m still trying to decide which book to pick for my post today 😂

It’s such a great cover! Thanks, Megan! Looking forward to your post!

6. I’m excited for this book as well! Mindy McGinnis writes a really diverse array of books… I read The Female of the Species and loved it, but this book seems totally different!

She really does. And she just churns them out so quickly. It’s really impressive.

7. litthis says:

It’s actually not a standalone, there will be a second book next year to complete the duology 🙂 I really enjoyed it though, I hope you love it!

Oh, that’s hilarious that the publishing house included it in their article about standalone fantasy novels this week then!

1. litthis says:

Haha that is funny 🙂 But yes, I confirmed it with Mindy. Definitely a duology. I think it just changed to a ‘duet’ in Amazon.

8. I haven’t heard of Given to the See yet. This looks interesting!

I haven’t read it yet, but I’ve heard nothing but great things.

9. This looks AWESOME!! Totally just added it on goodreads! Even the cover is phenomenal 😉

It really does! Definitely getting this one in hardcover!