Standalone Sunday: Anatomy of a Misfit

standalone-1

What would you do if the nerdy guy you’d never dare get to know comes back from summer break looking hotter than ever? Would you try to find out what his secrets are, while making sure yours aren’t revealed? From someone who grew up keeping a low profile in high school, I found this book’s description interesting. I think we forget that the “popular” kids also have insecurities and secrets. Anatomy of a Misfit by Andrea Portes sounds like a good mix of fun and mystery, for both the popular and unpopular.

Standalone Sunday is a weekly meme created by Megan@bookslayerReads. This meme is about a Standalone book (that is not part of a series) that you loved and would recommend. Be sure to check out her awesome bookish blog!

Anatomy of a Misfit by Andrea Portes

18340210Outside, Anika Dragomir is all lip gloss and blond hair—the third most popular girl in school. Inside, she’s a freak: a mix of dark thoughts, diabolical plots, and, if local chatter is to be believed, vampire DNA (after all, her father is Romanian). But she keeps it under wraps to maintain her social position. One step out of line and Becky Vilhauer, first most popular girl in school, will make her life hell. So when former loner Logan McDonough shows up one September hotter, smarter, and more mysterious than ever, Anika knows she can’t get involved. It would be insane to throw away her social safety for a nerd. So what if that nerd is now a black-leather-jacket-wearing dreamboat, and his loner status is clearly the result of his troubled home life? Who cares if the right girl could help him with all that, maybe even save him from it? Who needs him when Jared Kline, the bad boy every girl dreams of, is asking her on dates? Who?

Anatomy of a Misfit is Mean Girls meets The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Anika’s hilariously deadpan delivery will appeal to readers for its honesty and depth. The so-sad-it’s-funny high school setting will pull readers in, but when the story’s dark foreboding gradually takes over, the devastating penultimate tragedy hits like a punch to the gut. Readers will ride the highs and lows alongside funny, flawed Anika — from laughter to tears, and everything in between.

Wine Pairing

IMG_7746

I recommend sipping on the grapefruit & lemon flavors of Line 39‘s Savignon Blanc while reading Anatomy of a Misfit by Andrea Portes. The citrus flavors of this white wine pair well with the sharpness of the “popular” kids while the subtle grassy finish takes on the secrets they keep well contained.

Will this be added to your TBR pile?

1. Donna says:

This book sounds full of high school and its ranks, emotions, issues, and everything that makes it heaven and hell!

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Right?! High school is definitely a beast in its own ways. I miss parts of it and the friends I had were great. It wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows though.

2. I haven’t seen this book floating around the book community too much, but it sounds REALLY interesting. High school can be so mean, and this one sounds like it could be quite an interesting addition to the genre. Plus, I do have a thing for my geek boys. 😄 And anything that says dreamboat in the summary has me sold. I’m definitely going to have to investigate this more. Wonderful post! 😀

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Thank you! I hadn’t seen it until it was recommended by Amazon. I thought it sounded interesting and different than other contemporaries I’ve read. I haven’t picked it up yet but I plan to.

3. Jon says:

Good choice for a wine pairing!

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Thanks!

1. Jon says:

Your welcome!

4. This book sounds like a cute high school romance, which is what I’m always in the mood for! Thanks for the recommendation!

1. SarahYAandWine says:

You’re welcome! I need to read more YA contemporary and romance!

1. Before I started my blog that was all I read! Thanks the the blogosphere though I’ve widened my horizons a ton and am reading so many different types of books.

2. SarahYAandWine says:

I’ve definitely started reading other genres within the YA world. Fantasy is my go to though.

5. ravenblake99 says:

This book definitely sounds like a fun book to read! 🙂