Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want To Read A Book

This week’s theme was a tough one, and really made me stop and think about what really makes me want to invest my time and money into a book. Here are the top ten things that get me excited to pick up a book. I can’t wait to see what you all came up with as well.

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the fabulous The Broke and Bookish. It’s my favorite weekly meme, because the topics are always super fun, and it’s also a fantastic way to connect with other book bloggers. Join us!

The Cover!!

Recommendations from friends & family

Reading multiple books from the same author

The Blurb on the Dust Jacket

Star-Rating

Website Recommendations

Daily Deals

Blogger Recommendations

The King’s English

First Draft Podcast

What makes you instantly want to read a book?

1. ChrissiReads says:

Brilliant list 🙂 Some of these things really draw me to a book as well.

Liked by 2 people

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Thank you! I was surprised by how many resources I use to find good books.

2. Perfect list Krysti! I’d have to go with almost all these!☺

3. Great list, Sarah. I always judge a book by the cover…I hate that I do that too! 😦

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Sometimes you don’t get good stuff on the inside but for me it doesn’t happen too often!

4. All of your reasons are great! I have several of them on my list as well. I wish I would have thought of the blurb one.
    My TTT.

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Thanks! That one was fun but took me forever to get a picture of because my cat kept photo bombing it.

5. Oooh, this one was a hard one, Sarah. It wasn’t one of those ones you can immediately list off the top of your head, but you did fantastic with it! Most of the places that you included are definitely where I get my book recs from. I used to only rely on Goodreads to give me recommendations, but there is so much more to it now that you’re in the book blogging world. Also, can I have my own King’s English? D: 😄 Wonderful post!

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Thanks! It was really tough but I’m glad you enjoyed it! I wish I could share The King’s English with you because it’s the best Indie bookshop! I used to only get my Rec’s from my family and a few friends. I only started using Goodreads a couple years ago. There is a huge bookish world out there and it’s been so fun!!

6. LHauser27 says:

Hi! Covers are my weakness! I should have added the blurbs on the books to my list. That’s a third one that gets me 🙂
    My TTT
    Leslie

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Covers are my favorite! If I do get around to reading the description the blurbs are good! I use those mostly when I’m at the bookstore.

7. ravenblake99 says:

Great list! Beautiful covers are my weakness too! I love reading Action packed YA fantasy books with light romance. I also can’t resist books with enemies to lovers or hate to love tropes. 🙂

1. SarahYAandWine says:

I love all those things!! Epic Fantasy is definitely my favorite! I love the action scenes the best!

8. Oooh, these are such good ones! I totally should have thought about the cover. Derp! That one always works on me 🙂

1. SarahYAandWine says:

The covers are my favorite! Which one gets you interested in a book?

9. Lois says:

I am terrible for buying books based solely on the pretty book cover haha. I must admit the synopsis actually has a big part in whether I buy it or not. First impressions are important after all when it comes to book 😛

1. SarahYAandWine says:

I agree! The synopsis isn’t as important so I always check if someone I know has marked it as to-read or read on Goodreads. Sometimes I’ll get them if they are on Daily Deals and I’m familiar with them.

10. Covers ❤ and of course, blogger recs! 90% of my TBR and wishlist are recommendations from blogger friends!!

1. SarahYAandWine says:

I’m definitely starting to get more from bloggers now that I’m in the blogger world more. It’s a lot of fun!!

11. J.R. Handley says:

Love this blog post!! I just checked out the podcast you recommended. Is this your podcast?

1. SarahYAandWine says:

I wish it were! It is not mine but Sarah Enni is the sweetest! We got to meet her in January when she came here with Veronica Roth.

1. J.R. Handley says:

Good to know, she does have a voice for narrating. Maybe she has a side gig lined up!

2. SarahYAandWine says:

I’m not sure if she does. I know she used to be a journalist before her podcast.

3. J.R. Handley says:

Well, next time you chat tell her to start cranking out audiobooks! 🙂

4. SarahYAandWine says:

Haha! Will do!

5. J.R. Handley says:

She beats the robotic Siri type voices out there!

6. SarahYAandWine says:

Definitely! I just discovered Siri could read books to me and it’s hilarious! It’s super convenient though!

7. J.R. Handley says:

I prefer a real voice, I cant concentrate on the story with the artificial ones.

8. SarahYAandWine says:

I do as well but sometimes a story is so simple that you can’t really tell the difference once it’s been going for a while.

9. J.R. Handley says:

True, with an engaging enough story I can forgive the robot voice!