Standalone Sunday: Juniper Lemon’s Happiness Index

standalone-1Julie Israel brings us her debut novel Juniper Lemon’s Happiness Index. Those who’ve experienced grief know all too well the difficulty of moving forward. This book sounds like it’s filled with mystery, love, and hope. Will Juniper discover that making connections with others is the only way of holding on to the ones you’ve lost? I can’t wait to find out!

Standalone Sunday is a weekly meme created by Megan@bookslayerReads. This meme is about a Standalone book (that is not part of a series) that you loved and would recommend. Be sure to check out her awesome bookish blog!

Juniper Lemon’s Happiness Index by Julie Isreal

juniper lemonIt’s been sixty-five days since the accident that killed Juniper’s sister, and ripped Juniper’s world apart.

Then she finds the love letter: written by Camilla on the day of the accident, addressed mysteriously to “You,” but never sent. Desperate to learn You’s identity and deliver the message, Juniper starts to investigate.

Until she loses something. A card from her Happiness Index: a ritual started by sunny Camie for logging positives each day. It’s what’s been holding Juniper together since her death – but a lost card only widens the hole she left behind. And this particular card contains Juniper’s own dark secret: a memory she can’t let anyone else find out.

The search for You and her card take Juniper to even less expected places, and as she connects with those whose secrets she upturns in the effort, she may just find the means to make peace with her own.

This is a smart, funny, poignant book guaranteed to make you laugh and cry – and maybe even take notes.

Wine Pairing

cupcake.jpg

I chose to pair this broad and full-bodied Cupcake Riesling to Julie Israel’s Juniper Lemon’s Happiness Index, because the creamy lemon, bright citrus, and hint of sweetness is comparable to Juniper’s personality, while the zesty thirst-quenching zing compares to the journey she takes in making peace with herself.

Will this be added to your TBR pile? What other books about self-discovery, or coping with grief would you recommend?

1. This book AND wine looks great! I’ll have to give them both a try! 😄

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Thank you! You’ll have to let me know what you think once you’ve tried the wine. Rieslings are my favorite.

1. I’ll definitely keep you posted. It looks delicious!

2. I actually enjoy Cupcake wines, but have yet to find their Reisling. On the hunt now haha.

1. SarahYAandWine says:

I don’t think I’ve had the Rieslings but the Chardonnay isn’t too bad.

1. I enjoy Rieslings. I like sweeter wines 😉

2. SarahYAandWine says:

I do too but I’ve also grown to enjoy a nice red.

3. Ah yes. Unfortunately reds had to be omitted from my diet 😦 So I cannot share in that joy.

4. SarahYAandWine says:

Oh ya! I’m working on more white wine pairings when I can 😊

5. I always keep an eye out 😉

3. Another incredible pairing! 😀

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Thank you!! That part is always fun!

4. You ladies have been on TOP with these pairings lately. SO GOOD. Plus, this book looks adorable! Another wonderful Sunday choice, Sarah! 😀

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Thank you! I was debating a debut author or standalone Sunday for today’s post but this book was so adorable I thought I’d make it more of the feature. The bonus is that is a debut novel! It’s definitely one I’d love to read!

5. This is a new book to me– but I do love the Cupcake riesling! That alone makes me want to pick this book up. 🙂

1. SarahYAandWine says:

It was new to me too but it sounds adorable! I’ll have to pick it up when it comes out!

6. LHauser27 says:

I love the title of this one. It grabbed my attention! 🙂
    Leslie

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Mine too! I think it’s adorable!