Standalone Sunday: An Abundance of Katherines

standalone-1

Throughout our lives we learn from the relationships we have with each other, whether a significant other or a friend. In An Abundance of Katherines by John Green we get to go on a road trip with Colin, a boy who’s learned something new with each relationship he’s had, each of which happens to be with a girl named Katherine. This is such an adorable book. I really enjoyed reading it!

Standalone Sunday is a weekly meme created by Megan@bookslayerReads. This meme is about a Standalone book (that is not part of a series) that you loved and would recommend. Be sure to check out her awesome bookish blog!

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

katherinesKatherine V thought boys were gross
Katherine X just wanted to be friends
Katherine XVIII dumped him in an e-mail
K-19 broke his heart

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.

On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun–but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl.

Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

Wine Pairing

katherines

The wide variety of flavors found in this Candy Babee California Reisling pair well with John Green’s An Abundance of Katherine’s. The taste of Pear, Apricot, and Peach, combined with the hints of Honeysuckle and Grapefruit, are representative of the different Katherine’s found throughout this lighthearted YA Contemporary.

Will this be added to your TBR pile? What other John Green books have you read? Which one was your favorite?

1. LHauser27 says:

This is my favorite John Green book! I’ll have to reread it with the wine now πŸ™‚
    Leslie

1. SarahYAandWine says:

I loved it. It was fun which I really liked. I need to do the same! It’s been a couple years since I read it!

2. I have read all his books! But looking for Alaska is my favoriteπŸ˜ƒ

1. SarahYAandWine says:

I really like Looking for Alaska! It’s definitely one of my top JG books! Will Grayson, Will Grayson is probably my favorite one though!

3. I still need to read this!

1. SarahYAandWine says:

It’s really cute! I hope you like it when you get a chance to read it.

4. This book actually put me off reading the rest of John Green’s books. To me this one was boring and I just didn’t click with it like I did with Looking for Alaska or The Fault in Our Stars.

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Oh bummer. It isn’t one of his most known or well read books. I think that is why I liked it. Will Grayson, Will Grayson is probably my favorite of his followed by TFIOS & Looking for Alaska.

5. ashley says:

The only John Green book that I have read is The Fault in our Stars. I really enjoyed it too!

1. SarahYAandWine says:

That one is so good. The movie gets me every time! They did such a great job with it.

1. ashley says:

I haven’t seen the movie yet!

2. SarahYAandWine says:

You need to! It’s so good!!

6. Christy Luis says:

Great review and so glad you enjoyed it! Despite Green’s effervescent nerdy charm, I ended up DNFing this one. I actually haven’t managed to finish even one Green book yet, for shame! The Fault in Our Stars movie totally hit home emotionally for me, though πŸ™‚ Do you have a favorite Green that you would recommend to anyone and everyone?

1. SarahYAandWine says:

That’s a bummer. I’ve read quite a few of his books and I’ve enjoyed all of them. Will Grayson, Will Grayson is my favorite though. It’s co-written with David Levithan and it’s just so much fun! Looking for Alaska hit home for me on a few levels and is also really good.

1. Christy Luis says:

Thank you, I will have to try Will Grayson, Will Grayson! I haven’t picked that one up yet πŸ˜€

2. SarahYAandWine says:

I hope you like it!! You’ll have to let me know!

3. Christy Luis says:

Definitely!! πŸ˜€

7. ezinwanyi13 says:

An awesome pairing. Both covers are pleasing to the eye with the Bright colors.
    I just finished the Wall of Winnipeg and me. That was a really good standalone

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Thank you!! I’ll have to check that one out on Goodreads!

8. You know… I have never read this. Might have to pick it up some time!

1. SarahYAandWine says:

I enjoyed it! If you do you’ll have to let me know what you think.

1. I definitely will!!

9. Ooooh, I love the wine that you chose, Sarah! It’s so ridiculously pretty (and totally making me crave those candies XD). But I read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, and I kind of gave up on him after that. πŸ˜„ I could’t connect even though he seems like a very witty person. This one does seem kind of interesting, though. Wonderful post, Sarah!! πŸ˜€

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Thank you! I totally get that! We have a book club member that couldn’t get into his books after TFIOS either. That’s why I love that there are millions of books for all different readers! 😊

1. Interesting – glad to know I’m not the only one. But yes! I totally agree. If you don’t like one, there will be someone out there that does!

2. SarahYAandWine says:

Exactly!! Lots of good books out there to be discovered too!

10. This was the second and last John Green book I read but I’m not really sure what I thought of it.
    It was okay, I guess, cute in places, and definitely better than Looking for Alaska, but still not quite there. I thought the concept was adorable, though!
    Glad to know you loved it so much, Krysti! πŸ™‚

1. *Oh no, I’m so used to always replying to Krysti’s posts that I forget to pay attention to the author… I’m so sorry, Sarah! I realized it a moment too soon 😑

1. SarahYAandWine says:

Hehe! It’s ok! I haven’t posted in a couple weeks either so I’m sure it totally threw you off. I liked that it was a bit fluffier than his more serious stuff. There aren’t many books that I don’t enjoy.

11. This has been on my TBR for a while– one of my best friends is named Katherine. I feel like we need our own mini book club! Have you read other Green novels, Sarah? I’ve only read The Fault in Our Stars, so I’m not certain how this might compare.

1. SarahYAandWine says:

I’ve read five of his books. This one is a lighter read compared to TFIOS. I love all of his books! There are a few I haven’t read yet but I will at some point!