Waiting on Wednesday: Last Star Burning

This week, I’m waiting on a book by debut local author, Caitlin Sangster. It sounds like a fascinating new fantasy novel, and I absolutely can’t wait to get my hands on this one!

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine. Be sure to check out their blog and share the upcoming books your excited about with us each Wednesday!

new-wow

Wine Pairing

Last Star Burning by Caitlin Sangster

I’ll be pairing Last Star Burning with this Purple Star Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine is a captivating blend of Cabernet, Merlot, and Petit Verdot, which pairs well with the way Sev’s past and present lives blend together in ways she never expected in this story.

*All wine recommendations are strictly for those of legal drinking age only.*

Last Star Burning by Caitlyn Sangster

28797211.jpgTo escape execution for a crime she didn’t commit, seventeen-year-old Sev is forced to run away from the only home she’s ever known in this exciting start to a brand-new fantasy series from debut author Caitlin Sangster.

Sev has been branded a criminal since she was eight. That’s the penalty for being the daughter of the woman who betrayed their entire nation.

Now her mother’s body is displayed above Traitor’s Arch, kept in a paralyzed half-sleep by the same plague that destroyed the rest of the world. And as further punishment, Sev must do hard labor to prove that she’s more valuable alive than dead.

When the government blames Sev for a horrific bombing, she must escape the city or face the chopping block. Unimaginable dangers lurk outside the city walls, and Sev’s only hope of survival lies with the most unlikely person—Howl, the chairman’s son. Though he promises to lead her to safety, Howl has secrets, and Sev can’t help but wonder if he knows more about her past—and her mother’s crimes—than he lets on.

But in a hostile world, trust is a luxury. Even when Sev’s life and the lives of everyone she loves may hang in the balance.

About Caitlyn

8757d6_4c6f6ba1dd334611bb54c760f0810bdd~mv2Caitlin Sangster grew up in the back woods of California and would rather go hiking, running, swimming, or general outdoorsing than just about anything else. If there aren’t any mountains, it doesn’t count as a real place. At eighteen, she moved to XinJiang, and at twenty-one it was Taiwan. She did eventually buckle down and graduate from Brigham Young University with a BA in Asian Studies and is now that person you avoid at parties because she’ll probably start talking about Shang dynasty oracle bones.

Caitlin has been writing since middle school. She always thought of it as a silly sort of compulsive habit until she realized that people like reading stories and she liked writing them and there wasn’t much silly about that.

She currently lives in Utah with her husband and four children.

What books are you guys waiting on this Wednesday?

1. Great, now I have another book added to my TBR pile! 😀 This sounds like a great read! I’m waiting for Eliza and her Monsters by Francesca Zappia. 🙂

1. Oh, I’ve heard of that but haven’t talked to anyone who’s read an ARC yet. You’ll definitely have to let me know what you think of it when you do read it.

1. Hopefully I read it soon, and it’s not put behind any other books as soon as I get it! 😉

1. It is a really neat cover! 🙂

2. TeacherofYA says:

I haven’t heard of this one! Thank you Kristi!!

1. It’s not out until October, so I probably posted a little early, but it is definitely on my radar now. 🙂

1. TeacherofYA says:

That’s what WoW is for: alerting ppl of upcoming releases! Thanks to you, I have a new book to pine for…😂

2. It’s true! I wish Breaking the Spine was still actively participating in it. I wonder what’s going on there. 🤔

3. TeacherofYA says:

I don’t really know! 🤔🤔🤔

4. Me either. 😕

3. Whoa. That sounds interesting. *slowly moves her way over to Goodreads because I clearly have to add this one to the TBR* Wonderful wine choice as well!

1. Oh, good! I’m so happy to hear you’ll be reading this one too. 🙂 Thanks, Mandy! <3<3<3

4. Christy Luis says:

Ahh, I’m so excited for this one, too 😀 When I heard that she actually lived in China, I knew I had to try it! That and the fact that she went to BYU, which has happy associations for me, since they have such a great SFF program. I heard that and immediately thought BRANDON SANDERSON!!!! lol

1. Oh, awesome! So glad that you’re excited for it too! There really are a lot of great YA authors coming out of BYU, and I adore Brandon Sanderson!!! His writing is truly incredible.

1. Christy Luis says:

YAY, another Sanderson fan 😀 😀 Which books did you like by him?! He’s basically my favorite living author 😍

2. Oh, that’s so awesome to hear. I don’t know if you’re in UT or not, but he does tons of events here, so we’ve gone to listen to him speak several times, and he’s just awesome. Probably Mistborn and Steelheart. I haven’t tackled his adult novels yet, but they are on my list.

3. Christy Luis says:

It seems like he gives back a ton, and his fiction really bridges a lot of divides. Mistborn is amazing! I’m rereading it right now, in fact 🙂 That’s so awesome that you’ve gotten to see him speak!! 😀 I’m in CA, so not toooo far away from UT…but I haven’t seen him speak live, yet. I stalk him via Youtube though LOL His online writing classes and podcasts are so helpful. I’m hoping to attend one or two cons in 2018, so *crossing my fingers* he’ll make it to one of them! And maybe I’ll get to meet you, too 🙃

4. His YpuTube videos are amazing, so I don’t blame you at all! That would be really fun to meet you at a con! I’m definitely going to YALLWEST and RT next year. I already can’t wait!

5. Christy Luis says:

Yay 😀 Those two are on the list of cons I’m *hoping* attend! The RT is a better bet for me, but I would love to go to YALLWEST, too 🤞

5. ravenblake99 says:

This sounds very interesting and the cover looks beautiful! 🙂

1. It is another great YA cover for sure! I can’t wait to get this one on the shelf. 🙂

6. ashley says:

OMG, that cover and synopsis have me intrigued!

1. Yay! So glad to hear that, Ashley!

7. The plot sounds pretty cool! I guess considering the author’s background and the cover of the book itself, this will have Asian elements to it? That would be really awesome 🙂 And I’m hoping the heroine is as badass as she sounds like!

1. It sounds like it, but I haven’t had a chance to really talk to her about it yet. I’ll keep you posted! The heroine sounds really interesting, so I can’t wait to learn more about her!