If & Then Thursdays: Assassin Competitions!

If & Then Thursdays is a book meme created by Alex@ Young at Heart Books. How do you participate? It’s easy! All you have to do is choose two books that are somewhat related in theme, writing style, genre, etc. Tell us how they are similar and why we would like them! All recommendations should be made in this format:

“If you like Book A, then you might enjoy Book B”

If & Then

If you enjoyed Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, then you might enjoy debut novel Mask of Shadows by Linsey Miller!

if-then.jpg

If You Enjoyed…

Throne of Glass by Sara J. Maas

16034235In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king’s champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass–and it’s there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena’s fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.

Then You May Enjoy…

Mask of Shadows by Linsey Miller

29960675Perfect for fantasy fans of Sarah J. Maas and Leigh Bardugo, the first book in this new duology features a compelling gender fluid main character, impressive worldbuilding, and fast-paced action.

Sallot Leon is a thief, and a good one at that. But gender fluid Sal wants nothing more than to escape the drudgery of life as a highway robber and get closer to the upper-class―and the nobles who destroyed their home.

When Sal steals a flyer for an audition to become a member of The Left Hand―the Queen’s personal assassins, named after the rings she wears―Sal jumps at the chance to infiltrate the court and get revenge.

But the audition is a fight to the death filled with clever circus acrobats, lethal apothecaries, and vicious ex-soldiers. A childhood as a common criminal hardly prepared Sal for the trials. And as Sal succeeds in the competition, and wins the heart of Elise, an intriguing scribe at court, they start to dream of a new life and a different future, but one that Sal can have only if they survive.

Check out my Goodreads review here!

Are you a fan of Throne of Glass? Will you be reading Mask of Shadows when it comes out in September? What are some books you would recommend to Throne of Glass fans?

31 thoughts on “If & Then Thursdays: Assassin Competitions!

1. Azia says:

I really enjoy this meme! So many good recommendations. And while I didn’t really like ToG all that much, I loved the concept of an assassin competition. I think I’ll have to check out Mask of Shadows 😀 Thanks for sharing!

2. Jackie B @ Death by Tsundoku says:

This is going to be soooo unpopular– but I recently read Throne of Glass and I just didn’t enjoy it at all. I like the concept, but the characters and their relationships (also the convoluted long-game plot!) were far too unbelievable for me. I struggled to engage. However, I do love me a good assassin– plus gender-fluid? Bring it on. I’m not afraid to try something new.

Oh, I have several friends who don’t like ToG, so no worries. I love it, but it was definitely a book that I needed to read at the time I read it for lots of reasons. Sal is absolutely nothing like Celaena, so I would still recommend it to you. It was a three star for me personally. I liked it and loved the characters. I just wish there were about 100 more pages of development, and then it would have been amazing. Perhaps in the sequel though.

• Jackie B @ Death by Tsundoku says:

I definitely believe in finding books at the right time– there is a book I found at the *perfect* moment in my life. It’s a YA-contemporary-magical-realism novel, What’s A Soulmate? by Lindsay Ouimet. Traditionally it’s not the kind of book I would read, but I just fell in love. Many people have told me I should at least try GoT book 2; apparently Maas’s writing style improves quite a bit? I’ll probably take it on vacation with me, honestly.

Oooh, that sounds really interesting. It sounds like a book I would like. I do enjoy magical realism. Particularly of the YA variety. I think Maas’s writing improves a lot in book 3. I think book 2 is the weakest in that series, but that’s just my opinion.

ACOMAF is amazing. ACOTAR is good, but not quite AS good, so if you start there, definitely hang on until book two. It’s worth it. 🙂

I do LOVE some of her books so much. It just depends. But I loved ToG, so if you aren’t into that one, you may just not like her writing honestly.

3. Aditi says:

OOOH! I love the Throne of Glass series and I have an ARC of Mask Of Shadows and this makes me so much more excited to read it!

Thanks for sharing (and I’m definitely going to check this meme out too!)