Fans of The Hundredth Queen get ready!!! Because the second book in Emily R. King’s debut series is every bit as wonderful as the first! It’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of The Hundredth Queen, and I enjoyed The Fire Queen just as much, if not even more. It is clear that Emily had a lot of fun writing this book, because it is an absolute adventure of a story that is so much fun to read.
I’m not posting my full review until we get a little closer to the publication date, but I did want to share some of my favorite non-spoilery things about this book, so you know what to look forward to when the book comes out in September!
What I LOVED About The Fire Queen!
- My favorite thing about The Hundredth Queen was the amazing cast of female characters. In The Fire Queen, we get to meet even more of them! I found all of these women completely inspirational, relatable, and absolutely captivating.
- The romantic tension between Kali and Deven continues to sizzle! We even get to read through Deven’s POV throughout some of this story.
- We get to see more of the empire in this book, and the setting absolutely exudes magic and mystery.
- The fascinating, elemental-based bhuta magic system is on full display in this story, which creates some really intense and visually stunning scenes. It is also just so much fun to read about!
About The Fire Queen
The Fire Queen
by Emily R. King
Release Date: September 26, 2017
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
In the second book in The Hundredth Queen Series, Emily R. King once again follows a young warrior queen’s rise to meet her destiny in a richly imagined world of sorcery and forbidden powers.
Though the tyrant rajah she was forced to marry is dead, Kalinda’s troubles are far from over. A warlord has invaded the imperial city, and now she’s in exile. But she isn’t alone. Kalinda has the allegiance of Captain Deven Naik, her guard and beloved, imprisoned for treason and stripped of command. With the empire at war, their best hope is to find Prince Ashwin, the rajah’s son, who has promised Deven’s freedom on one condition: that Kalinda will fight and defeat three formidable opponents.
But as Kalinda’s tournament strengths are once again challenged, so too is her relationship with Deven. While Deven fears her powers, Ashwin reveres them—as well as the courageous woman who wields them. Kalinda comes to regard Ashwin as the only man who can repair a warring world and finds herself torn between her allegiance to Deven and a newly found respect for the young prince.
With both the responsibility to protect her people and the fate of those she loves weighing heavily upon her, Kalinda is forced again to compete. She must test the limits of her fire powers and her hard-won wisdom. But will that be enough to unite the empire without sacrificing all she holds dear?
About Emily R. King
From Emily’s Website
Emily R. King is a reader of everything and a writer of fantasy. Born in Canada and raised in the USA, she has perfected the use of “eh” and “y’all” and uses both interchangeably. Shark advocate, consumer of gummy bears, and islander at heart, Emily’s greatest interests are her four children. She’s a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators and an active participant in her local writers’ community. She lives in Northern Utah with her family and their cantankerous cat.
Enter the Giveaway!
Enter below for a change to win a pre-order of The Fire Queen by Emily R. King!
- Enter by midnight Mountain Time on July 31, 2017.
- Open to U.S. shipping addresses only.
Have you read The Hundredth Queen yet? If so, who was your favorite character?