What Does YA Stand For?

This week is Scholastic’s annual I Read YA celebration! And this year’s theme is YA Stands for… As an avid YA reader, this is a question that I’ve put a lot of thought into over the years. To me #YAStandsFor Yearning for Adventure. George R.R. Martin has a wonderful quote that says, “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.” I would add that a reader also goes on thousands of adventures within those stories they read.

There is something magical about YA literature in particular. It captures that time of life when our emotions are heightened. We’re experiencing so many things for the first time, and we feel them so deeply as a result. As an adult reader of YA, returning to that time period is always a reminder of all those wonderful, and sometimes terrible, events and emotions. That, in and of itself, makes any YA book an adventure for me regardless of the genre.

Whether you’re reading fantasy, sci-fi, contemporary, etc., immerse yourselves and enjoy the adventure, my friends!

Taking The Hunger Games on an Adventure

For me no adventure feels complete unless I take a book a long with me. Here are some pics from my latest IRL adventure. Watch out Katniss Everdeen!

So now it’s your turn! Tell us what #YAStandFor to you!

Follow us online for more YA and Wine!  Twitterinstagram-logo16645001740_27a0ac1a57_b.jpgFacebook.pngBloglovin.png

23 thoughts on “What Does YA Stand For?

1. kozbisa says:

Love this! I always hate the side eyes I get when I say I am a YA blogger. I love YA because it takes me back to a time I did not make the most of. I love reading about people experiencing things, good and bad, for the first time. YA is a Your Attitude thing for me. I may not be young, but I want to hold a piece of that youthful hope and exuberance in my heart.

Oooh, I like your acronym for YA. That is so great! If you’re on Twitter you should post that and tag @IReadYA. They would love it! I certainly do. That is such a great point!

Thank you, Chelsea! I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying YA/MG more. I recently read an MG I LOVED. It was Akata Witch. It is probably my fav MG since Harry Potter.

2. catfairyreads says:

I think this is right on! YA is about experiencing those strong emotions because that is what life is about! We are always looking back and reliving those emotions!

Thank you! It absolutely is. Sometimes as adults we’ve experienced something so many times, we become numb too it, and I don’t feel like that’s a good thing. It’s important to maintain our enthusiasm and passion for life.

3. Angela JC says:

I love this! So many people toss aside the YA genre assuming it’s for kids and as an adult they expect me to have moved on from those books. But YA is one of those genres that often manages to transcend age and it’s always fascinating to have a discussion about a book when the readers range from ages 13 to 52 or beyond.
    Also Katniss is definitely a good choice for an adventure! 🙂

Thank you! I absolutely agree. Seeing all the adult book bloggers and all the adults that come to my book club meetings, it is definitely true that the genre transcends age. As it should. There’s no reason it should only be considered okay to read books about people your age and older. That kind of thinking boggles my mind. And LOL. Thank you!

Thank you! It was really fun. Even if I proved how uncoordinated I am a few times. LOL. I agree. No adventure is complete without a book to pack! 😀

4. Never Not Reading says:

That’s one of my favorite things about YA too. I don’t read a lot of it (though I’ve read quite a bit in 2017!), but when I do I always appreciate they way the characters are learning about things for the first time. First love in particular is so heartwarming. And they have so much potential for growth! Adults can be so stagnant, but teens are still figuring out who they are going to be. I love that.

Yes, EXACTLY. That is definitely what most draws me to the genre. I think we get kind of numb to a lot of experiences as adults that would have been AMAZING when we were younger. And to me, these books are a great reminder of that and to not take those experiences for granted.

Hahaha. Thank you! That was a fun little adventure and proof that I take a book with me EVERYWHERE. LOL.