JUST ANOTHER GIRL: a Book That Needs to Be Taught in High Schools

FullSizeRender

I Read YA Week continues, and today we’re discussing books that should be taught in high schools. Books give us the unique opportunity of truly getting to walk in someone else’s shoes, and I hope readers can take that experience of seeing the world through another lens and realize that there is more to the people around us than we might realize.

One of the things I am loving about Just Another Girl by Elizabeth Eulberg (which I’m reading right now) is how it explores the idea that you never know what another person is thinking or what their lives are truly like. Just because someone appears to have the perfect life, doesn’t mean that they do.

I also love that this book tackles the girl on girl hate that is so prevalent in high schools and demonstrates how problematic and unfounded it usually is.

About Just Another Girl

29414595

Just Another Girl

by Elizabeth Eulberg

Publisher: Scholastic Press

Release Date: May 28, 2017

You resent her. You can’t stand her. You might even hate her.

But you don’t know her at all.

Hope knows there’s only one thing coming between her and her longtime crush: his girlfriend, Parker. She has to sit on the sidelines and watch as the perfect girl gets the perfect boy . . . because that’s how the universe works, even though it’s so completely wrong.

Parker doesn’t feel perfect. She knows if everyone knew the truth about her, they’d never be able to get past it. So she keeps quiet. She focuses on making it through the day with her secret safe . . . even as this becomes harder and harder to do. And Hope isn’t making it any easier. . . .

In Just Another Girl, Elizabeth Eulberg astutely and affectingly shows us how battle lines get drawn between girls — and how difficult it then becomes to see or understand the girl standing on the other side of the divide.

You think you have an enemy. But she’s just another girl.

What books do you think need to be taught in high schools today?

Follow me online for more YA and Wine!  goodreads_icon_1000x1000-aed808dec2093e20867b35cd56d9862d.png Twitterinstagram-logo16645001740_27a0ac1a57_b.jpgFacebook.pngBloglovin.png

32 thoughts on “JUST ANOTHER GIRL: a Book That Needs to Be Taught in High Schools

1. bookprincessreviews says:

Oh. My. Gosh. Why have I never heard of this before? It sounds amazingggggggggggg. I love that it’s tackling girl hate, which always mystifies me why it has to be so prevalent in YA especially with that one popular mean girl. I can’t wait to see your final review on it, but I’ll so be putting it on my TBR and trying to get to this pronto.

I definitely think it deserves a whole lot more hype than it’s received. It’s a wonderful book so far! I love the issues it addresses. It’s just fantastic.

2. Meggy | Chocolate'n'Waffles says:

Girl on girl hate needs to be addressed, it can be so violent, in words or worse, so yes, I think this book is important! Also, society teaches youngers that everything is perfect and glossy thanks to perfect pics on instagram, facebook etc, while the appearances hide the truth, and we should all be reminded we too often only share the best, not the normal or bad.

I absolutely agree with that, which is definitely why I think this book is so important. Love your comments here, Meggy!

3. Jackie B @ Death by Tsundoku says:

I am sooooo sad that I missed I Read YA Week. I would have loved to participate in this! Just Another Girl sounds like it’s tacking some important issues while still being a fun and easy read. I think that’s important when tackling challenging issues students can relate to! I can be hard to push through books which aren’t gripping or fast-paced when in school.

Hm. I think I’d add The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian It tackles a TON of relevant topics for students: Death, Domestic Abuse, Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction/Abuse, Premarital Sex, Abandonment, Bullying, and Eating Disorders. This is why it’s frequently a top banned book in schools– it’s a shame parents are banding together to prevent their children from having their eyes opened to these terrible things. If you don’t know about them, you are likely to fall into their trap.

It’s been such a fun week! I’m sad you missed it too. It’s been really neat reading everyone’s posts! I do feel like this one is just perfect for young adults and has such important themes too.

I actually haven’t read that book. It’s been on my TBR forever, and I really need to read it. Especially before the movie comes out, because I don’t want that to impact my outlook on the book at all. The fact that books are still banned is RIDICULOUS. I can’t even…

• Jackie B @ Death by Tsundoku says:

WAIT. There is a movie coming out?! I am soooo behind the times. That’s probably why one of my book clubs is reading it this fall. O_o Silly me.

Banned books always get me in a huff. I like to do a celebration during banned books week highlighting those books and why they are banned. It’s a bit shocking how many books are banned and for so many reasons, most of which are stupid. I am so on the same page as you.

Yes! And Hugh Jackman is in it. Not sure who he’s playing, since I haven’t read it, but there is that. πŸ™‚

It just baffles the mind that that is still something that happens today. I really didn’t know that it was still going on until about 5 years ago, and I was so angry. I’m so glad to hear that you do a celebration. I may join you this year if that’s okay. πŸ™‚

• Jackie B @ Death by Tsundoku says:

Fascinating. I did some basic internet research, and it looks like Jackman is producing. But I can’t find anything else. Of course. I’d love to seeeeee that!

You are totally welcome to join me! Any way to spread the gospel of how amazing banned books are and the silly reasons people oppress reading.

Oh! He’s producing. Gotcha. Well, that’s still cool. I’ll definitely be watching and do want to read this before it comes out.

We should plan some fun themed posts or something for that week.

4. LHauser27 says:

Hi! Girls are so mean to each other sometimes πŸ™ This looks like a good read. I wish we read new lit in my school. Our new curriculum comes with Hatchet and Helen Keller lol. I mean, great stories but so sad that CA can’t find more modern lit!
    Leslie

It’s so true. Being a teenage girl is so unnecessarily hard sometimes. We didn’t read modern lit in my high school either. And while I do think it’s important to read classics, I’m not sure that high school is always the right time for them honestly. I feel like that is the time period when we lose so many readers, because they are being forced to read material they can’t connect with. I think there needs to be a strong focus on modern lit in high school/junior high to maintain that passion and enjoyment with classics sprinkled in and then more heavily focused on in college. But that’s my very unprofessional opinion. LOL. πŸ™‚

• LHauser27 says:

It sounds very professional, your opinion! lol. I agree. This is why a friend and I read a classic every summer. Only now can I really appreciate them.

Well, at least I sound like I know what I’m talking about. πŸ˜‰ But thank you! It’s so true. I adore classics now. I either want to read YA or I want classics. I don’t really enjoy anything else. But I quit reading for a few years, because it was so painful in high school.

5. RavenclawBookGeek says:

Never heard of this one before but it’s definitely going to my TBR list.
    Why is it so hard being a teenager? It’s overwhelming how many topics aren’t being properly addressed and handled righ now and teenagers can’t be expected to figure it out on their own if we don’t make the effort of showing them how. Take books like Thirteen Reasons Why, The Hate U Give, even Eliza and Her Monsters… all of them have issues we, as adults, aren’t hadling well ourselves!

Oh, it’s wonderful! My friend from the Tales of the Ravenous Reader blog recommended it to me, and it’s so brilliant. This is what I love about YA contemporary fiction. It does not back down from these big, important issues. And there are some YA authors who are absolutely KILLING it. These are the books that should be required reading in high school. Not stuffy classics that teens won’t connect with and will also cause many of them to lose their love of reading.

• RavenclawBookGeek says:

I totally agree! Times have changed now, teens and tweens are facing stuff that I wouldn’t believe possible when I was in HS and they could learn a lot from contemporary fiction. I just finished Eliza and her Monsters and loved it, this is a book they can relate to. It’s always good to know the classics too but they need more than just culture.

It’s so true. I completely agree with you here. I really need to read Eliza and her Monsters. I’m hearing nothing but great things!