Nellie Bly and RETRIBUTION RAILS

I am a huge fan of the Vengeance Road series. I was lucky enough to read an early copy of Retribution Rails, and it is certainly one of my favorite books of the year so far. Erin Bowman’s world building and dialogue is expertly done and some of the best I’ve had the pleasure of reading.

One of my favorite things about Retribution Rails is that one of the main characters in the story, Charlotte Vaughn, is an aspiring journalist, and her dream is to follow in the footsteps of actual journalist from that time period, Nellie Bly!

I loved learning about Nellie in this book, and wanted to find out even more about her after I was done. Here are a few fun facts about this inspirational woman!

About Nellie Bly

nbcirca1890-3Nellie was born on May 5, 1864.

Nellie was a ground-breaking American journalist.

Nellie was well-known for her record-breaking trip around the world in 72 days, which was inspired by Jules Verne’s book.

Nellie once faked insanity in order to study and report on an insane asylum from within.

Her journalistic career was launched when she wrote a rebuttal to a highly aggressive and misogynistic article in a newspaper called “What Girls are Good For.” The editor was so impressed with her writing, he offered her the opportunity to write another piece for the newspaper.

Nellie was a writer, industrialist, inventor, and charity worker.

Nellie was inducted into the National Women’s Hall of Fame in 1998.

About Retribution Rails

33413926Title: Retribution Rails

Author: Erin Bowman

Pub. Date: November 7, 2017

Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers

Pages: 384

REDEMPTION IS NEVER FREE
When Reece Murphy is forcibly dragged into the Rose Riders gang because of a mysterious gold coin in his possession, he vows to find the man who gave him the piece and turn him over to the gang in exchange for freedom. Never does he expect a lead to come from an aspiring female journalist. But when Reece’s path crosses with Charlotte Vaughn after a botched train robbery and she mentions a promising rumor about a gunslinger from Prescott, it becomes apparent that she will be his ticket to freedom—or a noose. As the two manipulate each other for their own ends, past secrets are unearthed, reviving a decade-old quest for revenge that may be impossible to settle.

In this thrilling companion to Vengeance Road, dangerous alliances are formed, old friends meet new enemies, and the West is wilder than ever.

Have your read Vengeance Road just yet? Will you be reading Retribution Rails when it hits shelves in November?

Follow me online for more YA and Wine!  goodreads_icon_1000x1000-aed808dec2093e20867b35cd56d9862d.png Twitterinstagram-logo16645001740_27a0ac1a57_b.jpgFacebook.pngBloglovin.png

35 thoughts on “Nellie Bly and RETRIBUTION RAILS

I agree 100%. This is one of my favorite series right now. Erin Bowman has done such a phenomenal job with it, and those covers are STUNNING!

I’m so glad you loved it too! There really are so many different types of YA novels anymore. It’s all I can read with the blog and ARCs, and I never get bored!

1. Jackie B @ Death by Tsundoku says:

There is something about historical fiction based on real people and real events which really calls to me. The Killer Angels was my first introduction to this find of historical fiction and I have been smitten ever since.

I didn’t think I would be that into cowboys and wild west-style fiction until I read some of the short stories in A Tyranny of Petticoats. My favorite stories had to do with the old west! I’ll certainly have to seek out Vengeance Road then! Yet another book for the ol’ TBR. 😉

I totally agree. I’ll have to check Killer Angels out. It sounds really interesting. You should read Among the Red Stars by Gwen Katz when it comes out in October. It is about real airwomen who fought in WWII. The Nazi’s dubbed them the air witches, and they are fascinating!

Oh, I LOVE A Tyranny of Petticoats. I love anthologies in general, but that one is probably my favorite. I didn’t think I’d like wild west fiction either, but I adore these books. They’re so well-written. Let me know if you do read it. 🙂

• Jackie B @ Death by Tsundoku says:

Now *that’s* a book I could get behind! Among the Red Stars is totally on my TBR. Why are there so many amazing books still coming out? When will we have time to read them! …Wait– of course you’ve read it already. Do you read anything other than ARCs? 😉

You are the best and worst thing to happen to my TBR, Krysti. I appreciate that so much.

Its AMAZING! Definitely one of my favorite historical fiction novels I’ve read, and I do love me some historical fiction. I did read it already. The author was nice enough to send me an ARC. I rarely get to read anything but ARCs anymore. Most of them are wonderful ARCs that I really want to read though, so complaints really. 🙂

Hahaha. That may be my favorite compliment I’ve ever received. Book blogging is dangerous for those TBRs!

That’s so fun though! One of the best parts of reading books is discussing them afterwards. I’m only doing the one book club anymore, and it’s definitely all I can handle. I don’t know how you do so many! 🙂

Well, I read and blog entirely too much. LOL. I’m trying to get down to only posting around 3 times per week, but it’ll take me a while because of previous commitments. 🙂

• Jackie B @ Death by Tsundoku says:

Good for you! It’s so hard to change habits. I try to post 3 times a week, personally, but I don’t stick to a schedule since my life is far too chaotic to make that sort of commitment. Reading for book club is sometimes challenging enough. So, toning down blogging is a 2018 goal? 😉

It is hard. I have this weird paranoia that if I post less my blog will fail, but I just can’t keep up with it. It’s like a within the next two weeks goal. 😉 I’m sure your book clubs keep you hopping. You have so many!

I have next week off work, so I’m hoping to do the same thing honestly. Questions you thought you’d have answers to as an adult, right?! 🙂

• Jackie B @ Death by Tsundoku says:

Not really– it’s more than the definition of success keeps changing. But, as an adult I allow myself less time to reflect on these things. I don’t know why I don’t respect the time I need to process information well, but I don’t. Silly Jackie.

I wish you all the best reflecting on this! Let me know if you need a brain to bounce some ideas off of. We can chat via Twitter/e-Mail, whatever.

I think that’s pretty common amongst us “adults.” We just don’t give ourselves enough time to think. It’s hard with work and everything else, but I want to try to be better at that. Thank goodness for staycations sometimes. 🙂 I will definitely take you up on that offer, lady!