Booknerdigans at 2017 Salt Lake Comic Con!

Salt Lake Comic Con was last weekend and it was loaded with incredible book events! From panels to signings to book buying, I spent three gloriously bookish days geeking out with some of my favorite authors!

Here’s some of the highlights from my weekend/reasons you need to get Salt Lake Comic Con on your agenda for next year!

The Panels

Some of the amazing book/writing panels I attended included:

• Storytelling in Parts: Creating a Series with CB Lee, Kami Garcia, Jody Lynn Nye, Howard Tayler, Matthew J. Kirby, and Brian Lee Durfee.Kami:CB
  • Harry Potter and the Cast of Unforgettable Characters with Cheree Alsop, Sara B. Larson, September Fawkes, Tricia Levenseller, Jay Whittaker and Lynette White.
  • The Writing Advice I can Give My Best Friend with Brandon Mull, Brian McClellan, Chad Morris, Erin Summerill, Shelly brown, and E.E. King.
  • Soul Mates, Strange, Attractions, and Bromances: Relationships in Writing with Michael Haspil, Kami Garcia, Valence E. Maetani, CB Lee, Anneka Richins, and Jill Bowers.
  • Writing Excuses: Salt Lake Comic Con Edition with Brandon Sanderson, Dan Wells, Mary Robinette Kowal, Howard Tayler, Wendy Toliver, and Zoraida Cordova.

IMG_5026

• A Shadowy Reflection of You: A Villain’s Story with Charlie Holberg, Jim Butcher, Michael A Stockpile, Tad Williams, Emily R. King, and David Farland.
  • Princess Power: Defying Negative Princess Tropes with Bree Despain, Tricia Levenseller, Jessica Day George, and Kaitlyn Booth.
  • Okay, but How?! Turning Ideas Into Novels with CB Lee, Taylor Brooke, Mary Robinette Kowal, Ilima Todd, and Nicole Castroman.
  • You’re Doing It Wrong: A Dialogue on Nerd Love with Kyle J. Steenbok, Michael Bracera, Sean P. Means, and Danielle UberAlles.
  • Spotlight on E.K. Johnston

ek

• No Man’s Land: Wonder Woman, Gal Gadot, & the Post-Modern Super Heroine with Sara B. Larson, Rebecca Frost, Nicole Castroman, Kay-B, Shea Fontana, and Sarah Hanisko.
  • The Rise of the Female Hero in YA Fantasy with Emily R. King, E.K. Johnston, Zoraida Cordova, Tricia Levenseller, Rosalyn Eves, and Kathryn Purdie.

IMG_5113

• Breaking in as a Writer: NY Times Bestselling Authors & the Years It Takes to be an Overnight Success with David Farland, V.E. Schwab, Michael Stockpile, Jody Lynn Nye, James A. Owen, and Kathryn Purdie.

Local Authors

Getting to hang with our amazing Utah authors is always so much fun! I had so much fun seeing authors like Emily R. King, Tricia Levenseller, Sara B. Larson, Kathryn Purdie, Erin Summerill, Wendy Toliver, Ilima Todd, Charlie Holmberg, and so many others!

Book Signings

I also got the opportunity to get books signed by some of the AMAZING authors Salt Lake Comic Con brought to town including Victoria Schwab, Claudia Gray, Kami Garcia, Zoraida Cordova, E.K. Johnston, and Nicole Castroman (who I consider a semi-local author and all around awesome lady).

I also got to brave the crowds with my amazingly supportive hubz and some of my favorite YA and Wine book clubbers!

Talk about a great weekend! Who’s coming with me next year?!

Follow me online for more YA and Wine!ย Twitterinstagram-logogoodreads_icon_1000x1000-aed808dec2093e20867b35cd56d9862dUnknownFacebookBloglovin16645001740_27a0ac1a57_b

27 thoughts on “Booknerdigans at 2017 Salt Lake Comic Con!

This was my first one, and it was great. There was lots of non-book related stuff too. I just didn’t do any of it. LOL.

1. confessionsofayareader says:

There were so many great authors there! Looks like you had a great time. I love that your husband went, too. Mine has also been super supportive and I’m hoping to get him to some signings with me soon (most are on weekdays and he goes to bed early).

2. Jackie B @ Death by Tsundoku says:

WHAT. THIS LOOKS AWESOME!! I honestly never would have thought that a ComicCon would hold so many amazing bookish events! I will certainly need to dig into that for future local comic con type events. Silly me!

Which panels were your favorite and why? There is so much I want to know!

Also, what books did you get signed specifically? Did you buy them at the Con or bring them with you?

Thank you! I was sooo excited when I saw the author lineup. There were a bunch of other celebs and stuff. I just only did the book things. LOL.

So hard to choose! They were all so different, so it’s hard to compare. Probably the rise of the female hero panel though. That topic is just near and dear to my heart.

I brought my books with me. They were charging like $30 per book there! Insane! I got V.E. Schwab’s two latest books, Claudia Gray’s Leia book and Defy the Stars, Dan Wells’ latest YA, Exit Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston, and then I got the pb versions of a couple local author books, so those had to be signed as well. It was awesome!

• Jackie B @ Death by Tsundoku says:

Pft, I would do the same things– 100% book things all the time. I’ll definitely have to keep my eyes open for our future conventions and their lineup. What even made you think to look at a ComicCon for bookish events?

I am with you about the Rise of the Female Hero. Please more.

$30 a book?! Ugh. I hate the markup at places like that. You got a TON of books signed! I hope you brought a rolling cart or something to tote all those around…

This is why we’re friends! ๐Ÿ˜‰ A bunch of our local authors participate in the panels at Comic Con here, so I knew there would be some, I had no idea how many though! I was pleasantly surprised.

Seriously! I was dying when I saw those prices. If the price printed on the book jacket is less than what you’re paying, that’s a problem!

I did take my rolling cart actually! LOL.

3. bookprincessreviews says:

Omigosh, that looks fantastic, Krysti! So much fun! It’s amazing just how many local authors that you have and that come out for the events. I love it. Wonderful recap, too, as always, lady! ๐Ÿ˜€

It really was so fun! I’m still sad it’s over. LOL. I can’t wait for next year. We’re super lucky to have our amazing local authors here. Thank so much, lady!!! โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ