Earlier this month, author Kiersten White was in Salt Lake City on tour for her latest novel, Chosen. I was lucky enough to get to spend some time chatting with Kiersten before the event along with some other local book bloggers and bookstagrammers. Chosen is the second book in Kiersten’s Buffy-inspired duology, so naturally, we had to chat about Buffy as well as some of Kiersten’s favorite book recommendations for readers of horror novels. Check out some of the highlights of our conversation below and be sure to add Chosen to your TBR!
In Conversation with Kiersten White
- When asked how she landed the gig writing books for the Buffy franchise, Kiersten told us that a few years ago while attending Comic Con, she wore a Sunnydale High t-shirt. She ended up meeting one of her fellow authors’ editors and chatting about their shared love of Buffy. A couple years later, when that same editor was looking for an author to write the Slayer duology, Kiersten was the first person she thought of. Which just goes to show that putting the things you want out there into the universe does sometimes pay off.
- Kiersten is also a fan of Pokemon and Star Wars and had some great ideas that she shared with us for spinoff stories she’d love to write one day. I am particularly here for a Kylo Ren novel. I’m just saying.
- Kiersten is now the author of 19 novels/novellas that either have been or will be published soon. When asked if she’d ever be interested in co-authoring a book with anyone, Kiersten said she would love to write a book with either Stephanie Perkins or Amie Kaufman.
- Kiersten is such an accomplished author, whose work all of us who were in attendance greatly admire, so we asked which authors she admires herself. Her answer was unsurprisingly the tremendously talented Laini Taylor.
- I’m a huge fan of horror novels and was beyond thrilled to learn that Kiersten is playing around with an idea for an adult horror novel herself. I’ll be anxiously waiting for any news on that front, but in the meantime, she shared with us some recommendations for horror novels to hold us over in the meantime, including: Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir, My Best Friend’s Exorcism by Grady Hendrix, and A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay.
If you haven’t already picked up copies of both Slayer and Chosen, check out the information below and get your read on!
About the Books
Into every generation a Slayer is born…
Nina and her twin sister, Artemis, are far from normal. It’s hard to be when you grow up at the Watcher’s Academy, which is a bit different from your average boarding school. Here teens are trained as guides for Slayers—girls gifted with supernatural strength to fight the forces of darkness. But while Nina’s mother is a prominent member of the Watcher’s Council, Nina has never embraced the violent Watcher lifestyle. Instead she follows her instincts to heal, carving out a place for herself as the school medic.
Until the day Nina’s life changes forever.
Thanks to Buffy, the famous (and infamous) Slayer that Nina’s father died protecting, Nina is not only the newest Chosen One—she’s the last Slayer, ever. Period.
As Nina hones her skills with her Watcher-in-training, Leo, there’s plenty to keep her occupied: a monster fighting ring, a demon who eats happiness, a shadowy figure that keeps popping up in Nina’s dreams…
But it’s not until bodies start turning up that Nina’s new powers will truly be tested—because someone she loves might be next.
One thing is clear: Being Chosen is easy. Making choices is hard.
About the Author
Kiersten White is the New York Times bestselling author of many books for teens and young readers, including And I Darken, Now I Rise, Bright We Burn, The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and Slayer. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, where she perpetually lurks in the shadows. Visit Kiersten online at KierstenWhite.com and follow @KierstenWhite on Twitter.